This test is used widely for immigration purposes, including applying for permanent residency and Canadian citizenship. To learn more about the requirements for CELPIP scores, visit Citizenship Canada.
This article will share a CELPIP preparation strategy you can use as a CELPIP exam taker. While it’s obvious that practice is important, it is just as important to practice well. We will be discussing the CELPIP General test as most of you will likely take it. This guide will still be relevant for those who are taking the CELPIP General LSAT test, as both the speaking and listening sections are identical.
Some CELPIP test-takers may be proficient enough in English to pass the exam, and others may even be native speakers. You won’t likely need to spend as much time getting ready for the test in this situation. To get the best score, preparation is recommended.
To help you get familiar with the format of the CELPIP exam, I recommend that you take several practice tests. You will receive a free practice exam from Paragon when you sign up on celpip.ca. You will also receive a free sample test when you sign up for the CELPIP exam. These free samples will help you get familiar with the test format.
Remember that the CELPIP English test is an English proficiency test. This test measures your English language skills in a real-world setting. It is very different from the IELTS exam. Despite having passed the IELTS test, the CELPIP test is a completely different format.
Remember that the CELPIP General test uses Canadian English. What is Canadian English? Canadian English is generally very similar to American English, with some spelling differences. There are few lexical differences and the pronunciation is nearly identical.
These are some tips that will help you improve your CELPIP score.
CELPIP READING TIPS
- Although the reading test is not difficult, test takers should be able to answer questions quickly as they are not given much time.
- Slow readers should read the questions first, before reading the passage. If you are a fast reader, it may be a good idea to first read the passage to get a better understanding of the meaning.
- Start reading English materials daily. It should be completed at least one month prior to your test. Read newspaper articles, editorials, blogs.
- Presto English CELPIP Reading practice is highly recommended. These practice materials include specific skill-building questions and complete CELPIP reading practice exams.
- Always try to figure out the meaning of words that you don’t recognize based on information shared and the topic before looking up the dictionary.
- Learn about different opinion markers If you see an “opinion marker”, you can be sure that you will soon see an “opinion statement”.
- The timed reading test is not available. Do a timed practice as you approach your test date to determine if you are still having trouble completing the questions on time.
CELPIP SPEAKING TIPS
The language test will give 8 speaking questions. It is important to be familiar with the types of questions in each task.
The speaking test is difficult for most because they have only 30-60 seconds to prepare. People who complain they can’t think of ideas quickly need to practice more.
If you have not achieved the target score in your speaking test, it is important to take classes if you wish to save time and money. Although classes are expensive, it is not impossible to afford them. The test is also costly. This is why we offer our 7 day online CELPIP training.
Get examples of speaking questions. Compare your ideas with others’ and brainstorm with family and friends. It is possible to do well in the CELPIP exam.
Remember to include details in your ideas.
– I love to come up with relevant WH questions to help me generate ideas. Your speaking test will ask you to list some items that you should include in your answer. To help you come up with supporting ideas, ask open-ended questions by using the WH question words.
Record your answers using your phone while you practice speaking. You can listen back to the recordings again to check for mistakes. You will also receive personalized feedback on your responses if you sign up for our CELPIP preparation course.
Practice speaking in your own room every day. You can start speaking on a variety of topics. Practice with CELPIP topics doesn’t mean you have to.
You must show your English proficiency by demonstrating that you can understand the situation and context. Next, use the appropriate tone (formal or casual). They want to gauge your English proficiency in the workplace and in community contexts.
Use appropriate expressions for the situation.
CELPIP WRITING TIPS
In the writing section, you will find two tasks. You will need to write an email and a survey response.
Avoid using words that are too big for you to understand. Students often think they need to impress the CELPIP ratingr by using complex vocabulary. However, they are often incorrectly using them. This is one of the main reasons that test takers fail to score 9 or higher on the exam.
Use idioms in writing, but don’t be too concerned about it.
To improve your English language proficiency, you should get your writing assessed by someone qualified if you don’t speak English as a first language. This is crucial because test-takers are often unaware of their errors when writing their responses. You must be clear, concise, and natural in CELPIP writing. A tutor can be a great help.
Learn from CELPIP writing samples with high scores. If they are not available, you can search for Band 8 and 9 IELTS General Writing examples that are similar to the CELPIP writing task 1. You can still find sample essays from other English proficiency tests for CELPIP task 2. Although they may not be identical, they are still relevant.
Presto English offers essay editing and private lessons. After two weeks of CELPIP Pro sessions, a student from our school was able to increase her writing score by 11 points.
CELPIP LISTENING TIPS
In general, the CELPIP listening test is easier than the IELTS exam. Focus on your listening skills and how you can prepare for it.
You must take notes here. You will find people who prefer not to take notes while taking the exam, as well as others who believe it is essential. Because there are specific questions on the CELPIP exam, I recommend that you take notes. These questions are more difficult to answer if you don’t have notes.
– Practice listening daily. To improve your language skills, you can use our CELPIP listening practice.
– You are interested in common opinions that people use during a conversation/speech. The 7-day online CELPIP training also includes writing correction.
Listen to Canadian audio content. News clips from CBC can be a great resource. Canadian dramas such as Mr. D and Kim’s Convenience can be viewed online.
Other useful tips
Join our CELPIP preparation course. The best online CELPIP training program is 7 days long. You will work with a certified tutor for 7 days to improve your English language proficiency as well as your CELPIP level. You will also receive a test sample.
To ensure your readiness, you should take the CELPIP practice exam from Paragon at least two days before your test. Last day of the week is for last-minute preparation.
– Make sure to verify the exact location of the CELPIP test center where you will be taking the test the day before.
You may be quicker than the test taker. It is normal to hear test-takers typing or speaking while you are taking your exam.
Your CELPIP test scores can be viewed within 4-5 business days of your test date. When the scores become available, you will receive an email notification.
If you feel you did well but didn’t achieve the scores you desire in writing or speaking, you might request a reevaluation. Requesting a reevaluation of reading or listening is pointless.
– Increase your exposure to the English language in order to improve your English language proficiency.
– Make a habit of reading and listening to English material on a daily basis.
Our CELPIP Preparation Course will help you improve your CELPIP score, whether you are taking the CELPIP language test to obtain a license, or for immigration purposes.
Get your CELPIP exam now to achieve your Canadian dream! We hope you will be able to obtain Canadian permanent residency, Canadian citizenship, or a license as a realtor, immigration consultant, or go to the school of your choice.