We’ve heard any students getting confused between CELPIP and IELTS tests. So, we’ve put together a quick “CELPIP vs IELTS” guide for all interested candidates.
CELPIP vs IELTS – UNDERSTANDING IELTS AND CELPIP
CELPIP stands for Canadian English Language Proficiency Program and IELTS stands for INTERNATIONAL ENGLISH LANGUAGE TESTING SYSTEM. Both of these tests are designed to assess the English Language proficiency furthermore both tests are used for study, work, and immigration, however, CELPIP is specifically conceived for Canadian English Assessment, it is very useful for the people who want to acquire permanent residency in Canada or the Canadian citizenship.
FORMAT AND SCORE BREAKDOWN: THE DIFFERENCE!
|BREAKDOWN||A score is divided into 1-12 for every 4 sections as per Canadian Language Benchmarks levels.||A score is divided into 1 to 9 bands into every 4 section. It considers a whole band score or half band score.|
|LISTENING||47-55 minutes; 7 components. Nearly 40-46 questions||30 minutes; 4 components, Around 40 questions|
|READING||55-60 minutes’ 4 components, Nearly 38-45 question||60 minutes; 3 components, Around 40 questions.|
|WRITING||53-60 minutes; 2 components||60 minutes; 2 components|
|SPEAKING||15-20 minutes; 7 components, Nearly 7 short answer questions||10-15 minutes; 3 components- Introduction, around 2-3 minutes Individual speech and Topic and questions|
|DETAILS||The computer based test only. Transition time is included between the test components.||Two types of tests. Transition times are included in between the test components in the computer based test. Transition times are excluded in between the test components in pen and paper based test.|
FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED –
Difficulty Level –
- CELPIP is completely a computer-delivered test, therefore, it is better for computer-friendly users with good typing speed. It also provides the spell check option, timer and word count. It helps the test takers to focus. The test also uses Canadian English Language slangs mostly.
- IELTS has both options, the pen paper base is comfortable for non- computer friendly users. It is also beneficial for candidates who have good handwriting. IELTS computer delivered is good for computer oriented people.
- CELPIP is available in 3 locations of India- Chandigarh, New Delhi and Ahmedabad (Gujarat)
- IELTS has multiple locations in India. Both the British Council and IDP have more than 100 test locations across the country.
- CELPIP– General has fees of INR 10,845+ Taxes.
- IELTS – General test charges are INR 14000 (including taxes)
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PATTERN OF IELTS AND CELPIP
In some areas both IELTS and CELPIP have similar criteria’s however there are many sections that are specific to each one.
For instance in the writing section, of CELPIP exam you need to write an email and answer the questions. Whereas in the IELTS the format is completely different where candidates write a report about a diagram for 150 words and an essay for 250 words.
Likewise the speaking test is also quite different, where IELTS speaking test is divided into 3 components- Discussion of day to day topics, to give a structured talk and to answer questions regarding the topic. The CELPIP speaking section covers 7 sections each of which tests a particular language function.
The CELPIP test is conducted for 3 hours in one sitting and the time allocated includes the question, answer and transition time. The IELTS test components are not necessarily completed on the same day. The IELTS speaking section is done separately at a different date, time and maybe location. There is no automatic computerized time tracking with IELTS, and the times may not include the transition times between the test sections.
WHICH ONE’S EASIER – IELTS OR CELPIP?
The choice between IELTS and CELPIP often puts candidates in a big dilemma. According to the test takers, both IELTS and CELPIP have an equal difficulty level and
- Both test results are eligible to apply for Canada Permanent Residency.
- People with good computer knowledge should consider CELPIP or computer-based IELTS whereas people who think they are better off with the pen-paper method should opt for that.
HOW CAN WE HELP
We have a well-trained coaching team that not only assists you with the best coaching but also guides you to crack the test successfully with some extraordinary tips and tricks. Currently, due to the pandemic situation, we are also providing online coaching to help you in every way possible.